Well, another General Conference has come to a close. I know I comment on this every time, but it’s hard for me to get through 10 hours worth of meetings over two days. I don’t know how the General Authorities manage to do get through it in the Conference Center without falling asleep.
We watched this last session at home in the comfort of our living room.
Overall, it was much like other General Conferences. There certainly weren’t any talks that I thought were terrible, but that isn’t to say that I loved every one. There are obviously ones that I liked more than others. Out of all of the talks, the one I’ll probably remember the most was Elder Holland’s about pornography. He was definitely bold. I also thought Sister Beck’s talk was excellent. I’ll have to watch/read them again and see if I still feel the same way.
President Henry B Eyring conducted
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang Come, O Thou King of Kings
The invocation was offered by Christoffel Golden, Jr
The choir sang Jesus, Once of Humble Birth
Elder Russell M Nelson
- When we sense the love we have for our family, we can imagine the love Heavenly Father has for us
- The Church protects the truth that family is central to God’s plan
- This church brings hope and help to this sacred institution of the family
- No matter your situation, you can make family history a part of your life
- New FamilySearch is creating one pedigree we all work on
Elder Robert D Hales
- There is no substitute for seeing the gospel lived in our daily life
- The stripling warriors didn’t have to wonder what their parents believed
- Do our children know what we know?
- When we sit down at the dinner table, is the whole family there?
- Mother, Father, Grandma, Grandpa, are you there?
- Being there means understanding their hearts and connecting with them
- Teach them to walk in the light, but it can’t be borrowed light
Elder Bradley D Foster
- There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood
- By diving design, nurturing is part of mothers
- A distraction doesn’t need to be evil to be effective
- In a world where everyone is granted agency, some of our loved ones may stray for a season, but we must never give up
- We never know when a heart will be turned
The choir and congregation sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Elder James B Martino
- We’ll all face trials
- How we react determines are success
- We need to humble ourselves before God and learn from him
- Learn from Christ
- Remain committed
- Learn to not complain
- Seek greater help from God
- Learn to serve and think of others
- Forgive others, and do not blame others
- As we pass through the trials of life, keep an eternal perspective
Elder Gregory A Schwitzer
- Do not judge others, but use excellent judgment
- Good judgment guidelines
- Align yourself to the gospel
- Listen to the messages of the living prophet
- Have a listening relationship with the Holy Spirit
- Keep the commandments
Elder Francisco J Vinas
- Spoke of natural disasters
- Dying to spiritual things is worth than death
- The Leadership Training Emphasis wants each family member to read, pray, and live the gospel
- These things are works of righteousness
- He who doeth the works of righteousness will receive his reward
Elder Neil L Andersen
- The harmony in the talks is a miracle
- We have heard and felt the mind and will of the Lord
- The rising generation is the very best ever
- “Tell me the stories of Jesus”
- Are the life and teachings of Jesus Christ embedded in the hearts of our children?
- Do they know that Jesus taught “Ask, and ye shall receive”?
- If the child is not listening with a believing heart, your testimony will stay.
- If a child is not listening, do not despair. Time and truth are on your side
- Two men can do anything, as long as one of them is the Lord
President Thomas S Monson
- Trust in the Lord and lean not unto thine own understanding
- That is the story of his life
- We’ve been richly blessed
- The world seems to have slipped from the moorings of safety
- The problems in the world cause people to be tossed about in a sea of sin and crushed on the jagged reef of missed opportunities and shattered dreams
- There is no one so lost that can’t be saved by the lighthouse of the Lord
- Thank you for your prayers
- May His promised peace be with you
The choir sang Abide with Me; ‘Tis Eventide
The benediction was offered by Bishop Richard C Edgley