A few months ago, Elder Neal L Andersen challenged the youth to take their own names to the temple (I first heard about this on LDS Media Talk). Right away an official page was setup, and word started to spread. So far over 20,000 people have signed up to accept the challenge.
Our stake hasn’t set a specific goal, but we certainly endorse the challenge. In one ward I was in recently, the youth Sunday School class (only 3 youth) were in the Family History Centre learning how to index. It’s great to see the youth getting involved like that.
One of my favourite things about General Conference weekend is seeing The World Report. This is a “news” program that the Church puts together highlighting what has happened in the last 6 months. Normally I watch the broadcast between sessions of conference, but didn’t have a chance to. I just watched it earlier this week. As usual, it had the “standard” items, as well as some items that you sometimes don’t hear about.
The broadcast included segments on:
- President Monson’s 85th birthday celebration
- Elder Holland’s visit to Harvard
- Elder Bednar’s trip to Mexico
- Elder Oaks’ trip to India to create the first stake
- Elder Christofferson’s trip to Eastern Europe and the Middle East
- An update on the construction of the Rome temple including information about the visitors centre that will house the Christus and the apostle statues
- Information on the dedication of the Kansas City Temple and the associated cultural celebration
- Information on the Brigham City Temple dedication
- Elder Holland doing the groundbreaking for the Provo City Center Temple
- Information on the dedication of the Manaus Brazil Temple and the associated cultural celebration
- Information on the Pioneer Day concert with Katherine Jenkins
- Information about a new Family History Centre in Nauvoo
- Elder Oaks’ visit to Notre Dame
- Information about the candidacy of Mitt Romney for US President
- Gail McGovern’s trip (President of the American Red Cross) to Salt Lake City
- Pocatello Idaho brush fire and Mormon Helping Hands
- London Olympics and Hyde Park Chapel and Visitors Centre
- More information on the Christus and the apostle statues that will be in the Rome Temple Visitors Centre. The marble comes from Carrara Italy
The Mormon Newsroom has links to the full video, as well as individual segments. There are also links to other stories that the Newsroom has released about the segments.
Posted in Famous Mormons, Mormon Church and Politics, Mormon Church Doctrine and Teachings, Mormon Church Family History, Mormon Church Hierarchy, Mormon Church in the News, Mormon Church Music, Mormon General Conference
Tagged american red cross, carrara italy, elder bednar, family history centre, gail mcgovern, general conference, katherine jenkins, manaus brazil, mitt romney, mormon newsroom, pocatello idaho, provo city, temple dedication, the world report, thomas s. monson