We went to the chapel tonight to watch the broadcast. It is my middle child/youngest son’s first time at conference. There was a bit of a social beforehand where we could have subs and chips.
Afterwards we went to Boston Pizza for more food. It’s a great tradition!
President Henry B Eyring conducted
A choir made up of Melchizedek priesthood holders from stakes in West Valley City, Utah and Magna, Utah sang Ye Elders of Israel
The invocation was offered by Elder Paul B Pieper
The choir sang Love at Home
Elder Jeffrey R Holland
- Home teaching… we struggle anywhere near an acceptable level of performance
- Some people have 18-20 families
- In the best of all worlds, a monthly visit in each home is still the ideal we’re striving for
- Read from a First Presidency letter from 2001
- Use the resources available
- Visit the house of each home, no matter how many months it would take us
- Prioritize our time with those who need us the most
- If you can’t visit, make contact in any way you can
- Watch for them at Church, make calls, send emails/texts
- Lift your visit of home teaching
- In newer, better ways, see youselves as emmisaries of the Lord
Elder Le Grand Curtis Jr
- Told the story of how the Church had been “freeze’d” out of Ghana
- Shared several stories of how some Ghana members found the Church
- Some people have experiences like Parley P Pratt, while most people have smaller, but still powerful experiences
- A testimony of the Book of Mormon can come slowly
The choir and congregation sang Now Let Us Rejoice
President Dieter F Uchtdorf
- He recounted the story of Alma the younger
- What can I learn from Alma?
- How am I like Amulek?
- Like Alma, to be successful, you must find your Amuleks
- Who needs a call to action?
- Who has the Lord been preparing? Find them by seeing with your heart!
- Listen with your heart and follow the promptings of the Spirit
- If the Lord calls, will I hear?
- Seek out, find, inspire, and rely upon the Amuleks
President Henry B Eyring
- The Lord grants his power to those of all priesthood offices who worthily serve in their duties
- The Aaronic Priesthood is an appendage of the Melchizedek Priesthood. They are connected.
- The AP prepares YM for a more sacred trust
President Thomas S Monson
- Spoke of the Word of Wisdom
- Told a story about someone in the war who had been given added strength and stamina
- The Word of Wisdom is a divinely provided plan
The choir sang You Can Make the Pathway Bright
The benediction was offered by Elder Bruce D Porter
Read the recaps and other notes from the 186th Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
Posted in Mormon Church Hierarchy, Mormon Church Meetings, Mormon Church Music, Mormon Church Priesthood, Mormon Church Scripture, Mormon General Conference
Tagged alma, alma the younger, amulek, book of mormon, bruce d porter, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, ghana, Henry B. Eyring, home teaching, Jeffrey R. Holland, le grand curtis jr, love at home, magna, now let us rejoice, paul b pieper, thomas s. monson, utah, west valley city, ye elders of israel, you can make the pathway bright
Wow! Wasn’t President Uchtdorf‘s talk this morning awesome?! Hopefully there is another awesome one this session.
As I make my notes, I’m also following the #ldsconf tag on Twitter. As was expected, the hashtag was trending after the first session.
In between sessions I watched The World Report, and then played some Mario Kart Wii with my son. Fun stuff!
We settle down to watch this next session…
President Dieter F Uchtdorf conducted
A family choir made of members from the Roy, Kanesville, Hooper and West Haven, Utah stakes sang On This Day of Joy and Gladness
Elder Paul B Pieper offered the invocation
Persident Henry B Eyring read the sustaining of Church officers
- A few members of the 1st quorum of seventy were released
- A few Area Seventy were released and a few sustained
- There is a new 2nd Counselor in the General YM Presidency
The choir sang I Know That My Savior Loves Me
President Boyd K Packer
- A gospel-centred home is a safe place
- “In the last days perilous times shall come”
- Perilous times are present
- The cure for most mistakes can be found in forgiveness through personal prayer
Elder D Todd Chistofferson
- Society has relied on the moral force of women
- A woman’s noble influence is felt at home
- There is no better setting to raise the rising generation
- Your moral authority is vital, and we may be taking you for granted
Elder S Gifford Neilsen
- What would you do if the prophet called you?
- They do call us. Are we listening?
- We have been called to do more missionary work
- We need to serve with enthusiasm next to the full-time missionaries
The choir and congregation sang Press Forward, Saints
Elder Arnulfo Valenzuela
- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass
- We need to teach in simple ways
- The small and simple means often bring greater results
Elder Timothy J Dyches
- Recounted several bible stories of Christ’s compassion and miracles
- There is opposition, and this helps us see Christ’s healing power
Elder Jeffrey R Holland
Elder M Russell Ballard
- “After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel” – Joseph Smith
- It is impossible for us to fail if we do our best
- If we all reach out to just one between now and Christmas, millions will feel the love of the Lord Jesus Christ, and what a wonderful gift to the Saviour
- You will have many opportunities
The choir sang Love at Home
Sister Carol F McConkie offered the benediction
Read the recaps and other notes from the 183rd Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
Posted in General Religion and Spirituality, Mormon Church Doctrine and Teachings, Mormon Church Hierarchy, Mormon Church Meetings, Mormon General Conference
Tagged arnulfo valenzuela, Boyd K. Packer, carol f mcconkie, D. Todd Christofferson, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, forgiveness, hashtag, healing, Henry B. Eyring, hooper, i know that my savior loves me, Jeffrey R. Holland, jesus christ, joseph smith, kanesville, love at home, M. Russell Ballard, mario kart wii, mental illness, missionary work, moral force, on this day of joy and gladness, paul b pieper, perilous times, press forward saints, roy, s gifford nielsen, small and simple, stephanie nielson, the world report, timothy j dyches, twitter, utah, west haven