Sorry for the slow posting over the past week or two. I’ve been a little under the weather, and life has gotten hectic. Things are settling down now, and I’m feeling better, so I’ll be back to regular posting. I have a couple of little things to post this week, and then of course I’ll be posting my notes from General Conference. If you haven’t seen my General Conference posts before, I put up 7 postings for each conference. I put up a few thoughts beforehand, I post about each of the 5 sessions, and then some closing thoughts. You can check out my first posting from April conference to see how it works.
Tag Archives: sessions
A few random thoughts as the conference comes to an end:
- I say this after each conference, and I think I will say it forever… I have a hard enough time staying awake for 10 hours, how do these men in their 70s and 80s?!?!
- General Conference was fantastic. I always enjoy it, but there was something different this year. I’m not sure why, but I welcome it. I felt the Spirit through many of the talks, and loved the music.
- We are so blessed to hear from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir regularly.
- In between sessions on Sunday I watched The World Report. It’s always interesting. I like seeing some of the “behind the scenes” activities around the world.
- I’m sure other goofy people have thought this before, but I noticed that Elder Malm offered the benediction of the Sunday Morning session. We have a dresser in one of our dressers from Ikea that is called Malm.
- I can’t get over how great Elder Perry looks. He’s going to be 90 this year!
- Before I die I hope to make it to Temple Square to hear the choir sing in person
- More than half of births to American woman under 30 occur outside of marriage. Nearly half of marriages end in divorce.
- Elder Ballard spoke powerfully to both male and female YSA about marriage
- I’ve never heard of Elder Wilson before, but I really enjoyed his style (as well as substance)
It was a long, but enjoyable 10 hours. I’m grateful that we have prophets, seers, and revelators and other Church leaders who can help us feel the Spirit in this way.
Read the recaps and other notes from the 182nd Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Pre-conference notes
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Saturday Morning General Session
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Saturday Afternoon General Session
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Priesthood Session
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Sunday Morning General Session
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Sunday Afternoon General Session
- 182nd Annual General Conference – Post-conference notes
Now that General Conference is over, here are a few random thoughts/notes:
- best line of the conference (in my opinion) was when President Monson said that “your future is as bright as your faith”. That really puts things back on us
- Elder Andersen seemed very humble. I’ve read some grumblings on the Internet about how he’s another white guy from Utah. That may be true, but it doesn’t mean that he’s not the man whom the Lord wants
- The Church had about 265,000 convert baptisms in 2008. During the press conference, Elder Andersen said that over 40,000 convert baptisms were in Brazil. If those numbers are true and are talking about the same sorts of statistics, that is amazing that around 1/6 of the convert baptisms in the Church are happening in one country
- The music was great as always. I thought “Sweet Hour of Prayer” during the Sunday Morning session was perfect.
- There seemed to be lots of “pep” talks… talks that encouraged us to be strong, endure, and have faith
- Isn’t President Uchtdorf is great?!
- A kid in my ward wore a Batman mask during the Sunday morning session
- There were several talks on the temple. I guess this ties into the “pep” talks above. Go to the temple and feel the strength there.
- There were fewer talks on budgeting than I expected
- I have a hard time getting through all 10 hours. I don’t know how the people up on the stand do it.
Read the recaps from the sessions of the 179th Annual General Conference